5 ways to Find Your Mind and Body Balance During the Work Day
At Botanical Tans, we’re all about healthy tans and holistic living. We believe in the importance of bringing harmony and balance to the physical, mental and emotional dimensions of one’s self. There are so many things you can do in your daily routine to find the perfect balance in your life. Here are a few of our suggestions…
1. Wake up a little earlier. Allow yourself 15 or so minutes in the morning to just be. Meditate, stretch, quietly sip a cup of green tea or coffee, or just simply breathe. Allow yourself to have this time to set the tone for the rest of the day. But, whatever you do, resist the urge to check your phone. Seems impossible, but starting your day with work emails, appointment reminders, and nagging texts will only lead to stress.
2. Declutter & spruce up your office. Do you really use all of the things sitting on or in your desk? If you truly haven’t used it in 6 months to a year, toss or donate it. A helpful system is to divide your possessions into three categories, keep, trash, and donate. Once that’s done you can move on to the fun part, decorating. Set up a plant or find a relaxing desktop background. Make your space somewhere you can be excited to be. (And hey it doesn’t hurt if it’s Instagrammable!)
3. Get walking. Our bodies were not meant to sit at a computer screen for 8+ hours. Counteract all the sitting by setting a reminder on your phone to take a walk or a stretch every hour or so. Even if you’re in a small office surrounded by co-workers, can you head outside to check an email or take a phone call? Your body will thank you for counteracting all of that sitting, and being outside will brighten your mood. Which brings us to our next point…
4. Go outside. Load up on serotonin by soaking up the sun for at least 20 minutes a day. Being outdoors has a naturally healing property. It can completely change your mood and mindset. However, love your skin and use sunscreen! We’re here to help you get that healthy sun kissed glow so that your skin doesn’t take a hit.
5. Go to sleep a little earlier. Easier said than done, we know. But, many adults get less than 5-6 hours a night when they should be aiming for 7-8! Sleep is so important, it lets the body reset so that you can wake up with a refreshed glow, no beauty products needed. And if you normally fall asleep to the TV blaring or while scrolling through Facebook, try to unplug. Light a candle, grab a book, and hunker down with some nighttime tea. You’ll be shocked at how much better your sleep quality is when you remove the screens.